Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Book: Beyond the Shadows of the Senators: The Untold Story of the Homestead Grays and the Integration of Baseball; The Bite: Dad's Tuna Fish Salad


I made an impromptu stop at my parents house today after coming from an appointment. To my excitement, my dad was making his famous tuna. Okay, maybe just famous in my eyes because I love it so much! The tuna has a tangy taste to it with a slight kick (due to the pickled jalapenos). It is so good! I actually had not planned on creating another blog post so close to the previous one, but I could not resist. Since this is an impromptu post showcasing my dad's tuna recipe, I thought I'd pay homage to him and select a book that features his father; my grandfather, Ernest "Spoon" Carter. My grandfather was a pitcher in the Negro Leagues and played along side Satchel Paige and
Cool Papa Bell for such teams as The Homestead Grays, Pittsburgh Crawfords, Birmingham Black
Barons, and so many more! Here is a picture of him (below) on the cover of the 1945 "Negro Baseball" yearbook.

So...cheers to my grandfather and his baseball legacy. And cheers to my dad and his tuna legacy, LOL!

The Book!
In honor of my dad, Rod Carter, and my dad's dad, Ernest "Spoon" Carter, here is just one of many books on the Negro League, "Beyond the Shadows of the Senators: The Untold Story of the Homestead Grays and the Integration of Baseball" by author Brad Snyder and publisher McGraw-Hill.

Beyond the Shadows of the Senators: "In a time when the country was divided into black and white, our soldiers battled against the evils in Europe, and war-weary Americans gathered around green fields to forget their troubles in the joys of our national pastime, the greatest baseball dynasty you've probably never heard of electrified the game and set an unstoppable revolution in motion. So begins the fascinating and often surprising story of the Homestead Grays, the Negro League's most successful franchise, and how the fight to integrate baseball began not in Brooklyn with Jackie Robinson but in our nation's capital."

Book Stats:
Genre - Adult, Non-Fiction
Page Count - 432
Target Age Group - Crossover
Theme(s) - Baseball, Historical


The Bite
Dad's Tuna Fish Salad
Here is the recipe for making your own. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
2 - 7 oz. cans of tuna (my dad likes Kirkland's brand the best)
2-3 Tbsp dill relish
1-2 Tbsp pickled chopped jalapenos
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp creole seasoning
Approx. 4 Tbsp mayonnaise (just enough to hold it together)
Dash of paprika for garnish
Serve with lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, and/or crackers
Here are the ingredients used to make the tuna. My dad used Kirkland's Signature Solid White Albacore Tuna.
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix well. Garnish with paprika.
Pretty simple! :)

Serve tuna with lettuce, tomatoes, crackers, and cheese; or whatever your heart's desire.

Voila!

Enjoy it as part of a salad, on crackers, or both!
We enjoyed "Sea Salt and Cracked Black Pepper" crackers. Yum!

Dad's Tuna Fish Salad!


No comments:

Post a Comment